The e-filing of Income Tax Return (ITR) has become from June 1, 2021, due to the ongoing process of migration from the old ITR filing site to the new e-filing site www.incometax.gov.in – which is scheduled to become functional from June 7, 2021.
According to the income tax department, the new features will be introduced. The new e-filing portal providing taxpayers convenience and a modern, seamless experience to taxpayers. Some of the highlights of the new portal are detailed below.
- New taxpayer-friendly portal integrated with immediate processing of Income Tax Returns (ITR) to issue quick refunds to taxpayers.
- All interactions and uploads or pending actions will be displayed on a single dashboard.
- Free of cost ITR preparation software available.
- Taxpayers will be able to proactively update their profile to provide certain details of income including salary, house property, business/profession which will be used in pre-filling their ITR.
- New call center for taxpayer assistance for prompt response to taxpayer queries Detailed FAQS, User Manuals, Videos, and chatbot/live agent also provided.
- Functionalities for filing Income Tax Forms, Add tax professionals, Submit responses to Notices in Faceless Scrutiny or Appeals would be available.
- The mobile app will also be released subsequent to the initial launch of the portal, to enable taxpayers to get familiar with the various features
Department requests the patience of all taxpayers/stakeholders for the initial period after the launch of the new portal and while other functionalities get released since this is a major transition.
The Income Tax Department has introduced a JSON utility for offline filing of Income Tax returns (ITR). This utility for offline return filing is expected to increase the return filing convenience. Also, the CBDT has announced the immediate processing of ITR.